We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A master in the art of contemporary marquetry, the Dutch designer Piet Hein Eek today achieves a real technical feat: designing a piece of furniture using a single wooden panel, used 100%, well almost . Result in pictures…
The "99.13%" chest: a modern piece of furniture with raw charm
After having tried for a long time to make a piece of furniture from a single wooden panel, the designer Piet Hein Eek managed to take up this daring bet with "99.13%". A little gem of technical creativity, this innovative piece of furniture is so named because it was designed using a single wooden panel, used at 99.13%. The tiny fraction remaining, 0.87%, thus corresponding to the waste created by the holes intended for the rivets and other interlockings, after assembly of the piece of furniture. Once this performance was accomplished, Piet Hein Eek chose to offer two versions of this exceptional new piece of furniture: a tall cabinet and a low chest. Both produced practically without any waste, these versions are fully in line with the current recycling and recycling trend.
Piet Hein Eek: designer specialist in innovative ascending wood
Trained in the prestigious Design Academy in Eindhoven, Piet Hein Eek is an avant-garde at heart, who was also one of the first to develop upcycling - or recycling of waste - in the early 1990s with scrapwood, this technique of gluing scrap wood intended for the incinerator. Having collaborated with renowned designers - Floris Wubben, Borre Akkerdijk and Marc Mulder - and prestigious brands like Ruinart, the Dutchman continues to develop his creations in his workshop in Eindhoven and remains one of the contemporary designers to follow very closely .